0.20 Contact Hours Approved for N
2.0 CEHs Approved for other Healthcare Professionals
Social Work: This course is eligible for 2.0 hours of continuing education in Iowa. Consult your governing rules to determine if appropriate subject matter criteria will apply to credit hours.
As professionals working with children and adults, you play a vital role in recognizing and reporting suspected child and dependent adult abuse. You may also be designated a mandatory reporter under Iowa Code. In the case of healthcare professionals, mandatory reporters are required by law to complete two hours of training during their first six months of employment and two hours every five years thereafter in order to obtain re-licensure. This home study will enhance the knowledge of the mandatory reporter in recognizing and reporting suspected child and dependent adult abuse.
1. Define child abuse according to Iowa law;
2. Discuss the enactment and purpose of the Iowa Child Abuse Reporting Law;
3. List those people recognized as mandatory reporters in Iowa;
4. List and discuss 8 categories of child abuse;
5. Explore the reporting procedures for mandatory reporters;
6. Discuss confidentiality issues associated with child abuse reporting;
7. Discuss the social issues relevant to dependent adult abuse;
8. Define dependent adult abuse;
9. Define caretaker;
10. List signs of environmental, physical and behavioral dependent adult abuse;
11. Explain the rights of the dependent adult to either accept or decline services;
12. List the four categories of dependent adult abuse as outlined by the Code of Iowa;
13. Discuss the purpose of the Central Abuse Registry.