This presentation will identify the school nurse roles in case of student injuries and illness prior to the arrival of EMS. This course will enhance the knowledge of school nurses when presented with orthopedic injuries and emergencies in the school environment. School nurses will be better equipped to triage those injuries.
At the end of the presentation, the participant should be able to:
- Review triage procedure.
- Learn current order of physical assessment (ACB).
- Learn components of a fast report used in acute and chronic emergencies.
- Learn guidance regarding caring for your peers.
- Learn ways to keep yourself safe, maintain office organization, and follow delegation processes and chain of command during and after emergency.
- Describe the assessment of an orthopedic patient and triage accordingly.
- Learn how to identify and treat common orthopedic injuries and know when referral is imperative.
- Learn to apply orthopedic devices such as compression dressings, splints and immobilizers.
- Describe signs and symptoms of an orthopedic complication or emergency.
- Describe appropriate aftercare for common orthopedic injuries.